Gavin Escobar ‘09 was drafted as the 47th overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Dallas Cowboys. Escobar, the 6-foot-6 254 pound San Diego State University tight end, was drafted the third tight end off the board and will be suiting up as a Dallas Cowboy receiving catches from Tony Romo. His three-year successful career at SDSU ended with 122 catches, 1,646 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns. He was also named a two-time first team all Mountain West Conference selection and a two-time honorable mention All-American. More Info.
AJ Cruz ('09) went on to play at Brown University where he was a team captain, a first-team FCS All-American by the American Football Coaches Association and a three time First Team All-Ivy athlete. AJ played in the Arena League for the Arizona Rattlers and the LA Kiss where he was on the AMC TV show "4th and Loud" which followed the LA Kiss through their inaugural football season. AJ was then called up to the NFL where he played for the Chicago Bears and the Miami Dolphins. More Info.
Logan Harrell ('08) played at Fresno State University where he was a two time first team All-WAC defensive lineman for the Bulldogs. Tied for second on the team with 71 tackles and was second in the WAC and tied for 16th in the FBS with 17.0 tackles for a loss, which also tied for the third-most in a year in school history. He was also named the team's most valuable defensive lineman. He went on to play for the LA Kiss, Toronto Argonauts (CFL) and the San Diego Chargers. More Info.
Mark Restelli ('04 ) earned a scholarship to Cal Poly (2005-2008), where he started 44 of his 46 games, where he had 267 tackles (137 solo), including 16.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, two fumble recoveries, one forced fumble, three interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 14 passes defended and one blocked kick in 46 games. His 267 career tackles is No. 10 on Cal Poly's all-time career tackles list. He earned 2007 All-Great West honorable mention as a roving defensive back. He went on to play for the Edmonton Eskimoas (CFL) and the Miami Dolphins. More Info.
Carson Palmer ('98) won the Heisman Trophy for the top collegiate football
player in the nation. After leading USC to a regular season record
of 10-2 and a ranking of 4th in the nation, Carson was named the CNNSI College Football
Player of the year, CNNSI 1st Team All-American, Football Writers
Association of America's 1st Team All-American, CBS Sportsline.com
1st Team All-American, ESPN.com 1st Team All-American, Pac-10 Co-Offensive
Player of the Year, USC's Most Valuable Player, and also won the prestigious
Unitas Golden Arm Award given to the top Sr. Quarterback in the nation.
Carson went on to play for the Cincinnati Bengals, Oakland Raiders and Phoenix Cardinals in the NFL. More Info.
Alumni and former UCLA standout Kris Farris ('96) won the 1998 Outland
Trophy Award which celebrates the nations top interior lineman.
Kris was also drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers. More Info.
Brian Finneran ('94) won the 1997 Walter Payton Award as a Wide Receiver at Villanova University. The Walter Payton Award
recognizes the top Division I-AA Football player in the nation. Brian went on to play for the Atlanta Falcons. More Info.
- Professional Athletes
- College Athletes
FEATURED PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES
- '91 Jason Stiles - W. Washington, Portland (AFL)
- '94 Brian Finneran - Villanova, Falcons (NFL)
- '95 Kris Farris - UCLA, Bills (NFL)
- '96 Brian Berg - SDSU, SD Riptide (AFL)
- '97 Stan Bennett - Villanova, Bears (NFL)
- '97 Chris Long - USD, Islanders (AFL)
- '97 Billy Newman - Wash. St., Titans (NFL)
- '98 John Minardi - Colorado, Texans (NFL)
- '98 Carson Palmer - USC, Cardinals (NFL)
- '04 Mark Restelli - Cal Poly, Dolphins (NFL)
- '08 Logan Harrell - Fresno St., Chargers (NFL)
- '09 AJ Cruz - Brown, Bears, Dolphins(NFL)
- '09 Gavin Escobar - SDSU, Cowboys (NFL)
- '11 Logan Sweet - UCLA, Colts (NFL)
- '12 Max Tuerk - USC, Chargers (NFL)
FEATURED COLLEGE ATHLETES
- '91 Ryan Mummert - Univ. New Mexico
- '94 Brad Finneran - Villanova
- '95 Josh Beckett - Oregon
- '95 Matt Nickels - USC
- '97 Bryce Jackson - Fresno State
- '97 Damien Minna - Fresno State, USD
- '98 Bryant Wolfsberger - Wheaton College
- '98 Matt Strickroth - Notre Dame
- '98 Jason Rowell - Sacramento State
- '98 Matt Brooks - US Naval Academy
- '99 Derek Early - Univ. Pennsylvania
- '00 Chris Rix - Florida State
- '00 Dustin Creager - Humboldt State
- '01 Matt Dlugolecki - San Diego State
- '01 Kyle Skierski - UC Davis
- '01 Ryan Lumm - William & Mary
- '02 Spencer Hollison - Washington State, USD
- '02 John Finneran - Villanova
- '03 Brandt Jesperson - Delaware
- '04 Mike Angelo - UCLA
- '06 Ross Cumming - USC
- '06 John Angelo - Navy
- '08 Kirk Skierski - UC Davis
- '08 Jeff Palmer - Oregon
- '09 Brett Haness - Southern Methodist
- '12 Ryan Wolpin - Boise State
- '13 Johnny Stanton - Nebraska
- '13 River Cracraft - Washington State
- '14 Jeremy McNichols - Boise State
- '14 Ryan Kilander - Notre Dame
- '94 Darren Wedertz
If you are Alumni or parents of Alumni and have pictures or links of your son playing football after Santa Margarita that you would like featured/posted, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org