Season Quick Facts
The Eagles registered their 200th win in program history with the victory over Orange Lutheran in Week 7. In 26 seasons and including the win over Servite in Week 8, the Eagles have posted an all-time record of 201-101-3 (.664).
Milestone program wins include:
1st: Jurupa Valley, 41-0, 1989
50th: Trabuco Hills, 20-0, 1995
100th: St. John Bosco, 35-17, 1999
150th: Paloma Valley, 38-7, 2007
200th: Orange Lutheran, 42-41, 2014
The Santa Margarita team and it's players set a number of team and individual records this year. These include:
- Offensive plays in a game (86 vs. Bishop Amat)
- Offensive plays per game (70.2)
- Total yards in a game (613 vs. Corona Santiago)
- Passing attempts in a game (47, KJ Costello vs. Orange Lutheran))
- Passing attempts in a season (380, KJ Costello 2014)
- Pass completions in a game (34, KJ Costello vs. Orange Lutheran)
- Pass completions in a season (229, KJ Costello 2014)
- Passing yards in a game (495, KJ Costello vs. Orange Lutheran)
- Passing yards in a season (3122, KJ Costello 2014)
- Most 300-yard passing games in a career (6, KJ Costello)
- Most 400-yard passing games in a career (3, KJ Costello)
- Fastest to 1,000 yards passing in a season (3 games, KJ Costello 2014)
- Fastest to 2,000 yards passing in a season (7 games, KJ Costello2014)
- Fastest to 3,000 yards passing in a season (11 games, KJ Costello 2014)
- Receptions in a game (15, Kyle Sweet vs. Dorsey and against Orange Lutheran)
- Receptions in a season (89, Kyle Sweet 2014)
- Reception yardage in a career (2,620, Kyle Sweet)
- Most 200-yard receiving games in a career (, Kyle Sweet)
Costello needs just 203 passing yards in 2015 to pass Carson Palmer for the most career passing yards in Eagle History.
Senior OLB Grady Higgins finished with 229 career tackles - good for 8h best all-time. Higgins also had eleven 10-tackle games in his career. Higgins lead the team with 3.5 sacks. Grady has also caught four passes at tight end in 2014. The most by an Eagle TE since Max Tuerk (USC) had 17 in 2009.
Fellow senior DE Rick Wade recorded 10 tackles at Mater Dei and 13 against Servite to give him seven 10-tackle games in his career. Senior DE Rick Wade now has two interceptions and two defensive touchdowns in his career after picking off a pass and returning a fumble for a score against Venice. Last year he returned an interception 74 yards for a score against Carson. Wade, who has given a verbal commitment to UCLA, finished second on the team with 97 tackles and is second with 3 sacks. His 97 tackles were the second most in school history behind Mack Pierson's 112 in 2011 - and Mack played 15 rather than 11 games.
Senior S/RB/WR/KR Rick Ellison recorded ten tackles at Mater Dei. Rick had one of the best all-around games in recent Eagle history against Servite in Week 8 as he rushed for a career high 118 yards including the game winning 26-yard TD run in the 4th quarter. He also added eight tackles, a pass broken up and a blocked field goal in the 22-17 win. Ellison lead the team with 98 total tackles and leads the team with eight passes broken up.
Senior Kyle Sweet led the team with 102 points by scoring 10 touchdowns and converting two of four field goals and 36 of 40 extra points.
Junior RB/LB Matt Mark posted 77 tackles and led the team with eight rushing touchdowns
Fellow junior RB Dre Hall lead the team with 585 yards rushing with four scores of his own.
Juniors Tanner Matthews and JP Hackett led the team with 10 special teams tackles apiece.
Receptions in a career:
- Brian Finneran (1991-93) 178
- Kyle Sweet (2014) 155
- River Cracraft (2010-12) 134
Receptions in a season:
1. Kyle Sweet (2014) 89
2. Brian Finneran (1992) 74
3. John Minardi (1997) 70
4. Conner Bianchini (2014) 68
5. Brian Finneran (1993) 67
6. Mike O'Gorman (1998) 61
7. River Cracraft (2012) 56
8t. Bobby Whithorne (2002) 53
8t. Ryan Maxwell (2006) 53
10. Kyle Sweet (2013) 51
Receiving yardage in a season:
- John Minardi (1997) 1,469
- Kyle Sweet (2014) 1,341
- Mike O'Gorman (1998) 1,144
- Brian Finneran (1992) 1,141
- John Minardi (1996) 1,040
- Brian Finneran (1993) 948
- River Cracraft (2012) 935
- Kyle Sweet (2013) 909
- Conner Bianchini (2013) 840
- Brad Finneran (1993) 820
Receiving yards in a career:
- Kyle Sweet (2011-14) 2,620
- Brian Finneran (1991-93) 2,546
- 2. John Minardi (1995-97) 2,539